Sunday, April 5, 2009

This Is Why I Love Roseanne Barr

I finally got around to reading the original hardback copy of her first book, My Life as a Woman, that I snagged a few months back at a local thrift store. I read her 2nd book, 'My Lives', a couple of years ago, and loved it! Say what you will about her, but she's a gifted and passionate writer.



Thought I'd share this excerpt...

I know I have a job to do while I am on this planet in this incarnation: To attempt to break every social norm, turn it back on itself and see that it is laughed at. This is the most fun thing there is on earth. I chuckle with glee if I know I have offended someone, because the people I intend to insult offend me horribly. I cannot bear the imagination of people my age at this point. I’m calling us the “What Me Worry? Generation,” because Alfred E. Newman all grown up is our hero and our symbol. He didn’t get any smarter, he just got power and money: Ronald Reagan, George Bush, Michael Dukakis, Jesse Jackson, Geraldine Ferraro and everyone else in power – all Alfred E. Newmans.
They’re leaders of a generation who have been given too much information, and cannot handle it all. Who have been told about things like world economies, and know that war is a money-making expedition, who know there never has been a weapon that hasn’t been used, who know that governments cause starvation, that everything is poisoned, that we are truly, truly de-evolving…but just continue to refuse to know, shrug it off, and jog a lot, play squash and watch TV. Too much information did not make us evolve, it did not make us informed, it just made us want to watch “Police Academy 5,” blame the victim, and masturbate a lot. We don’t have the slightest clue about how to talk to each other, or what culture is even about (let alone be smart enough anymore to create it) but like a bad little three- year-old we do know how to take it apart and break it like an old toy and leave it around for mommy to clean up. I for one know that our Mommy is getting very pissed off at us, hearing of her children begging for ridiculous things, and if I were Her what would really piss me off the worst is that they cannot even get My gender right for Christsakes.

- My Life As a Woman, 1989

2 Comments:

Missy said...

Her blog is very entertaining.

Bon Don said...

Rosey Rocks!!